TonightI attended the Economist Innovation Awards tonight, and will be speaking at the Summit tomorrow.
· Ran into Niall Murphy founder of The Cloud the largest WIFI network in Europe; Niall is an impressive guy; would back him in a heartbeat; he also has a lovely wife
· Then John Taysom came over to say hi; he was an early investor in Yahoo, and founded We7 with Steve Purdham;.
· Ran into Phil Marnick, the CIO of SpinVox; great guy - was the MD of Extreme Mobile - that we raised money for a couple of years back;
· Then sat next to the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year Award Winner in Switzerland - Prof Andrea Pfeifer and her husband who runs Nestle Food and Drink; they are based in Lausanne, and I casually asked whether they knew Martin Velasco, one of Ariadne's Investor Members, and she said - yes, he's my Chairman! - talk about small world - http://www.acimmune.com/content/?p=14
· Anne Glover, CEO of Amadeus Capital, sat next to me; I like Anne a lot, and it was interesting to hear her views on things
· Eric Vanderkleij [Eric.Vanderkleij@entrepreneurs.gov.uk] - of UK TI is a great resource for entrepreneurs and funds
· I ran into Iain Gray, CEO of the Technology Strategy Board, our partner in Entrepreneur Country
· I ran into Joia Shillingford who used to write the Futurephile for the Financial Times, and now is going to write about future innovation
· I said hello to Blake Chandely who runs Facebook EMEA, who picked up the award for Mark Zuckerberg; DAvid and I have spoken to him on the phone before, and he was very nice.
· Said hello to Tim Bradshaw of the Financial Times
· I missed Mo Ibrahim, who has an amazing story to tell about his businesses, but also what he is doing for African political leadership which steps aside voluntarily through his foundation and award
The awards were quite something:
· The founder of the Permanet which provides an anti-malaria net for children in Africa to sleep under received one; 6,000 African children a day die to disease which can be prevented
· Reckitt Benhauser got the Corporate Innovation Award; the guy who picked up the award said that the founder built his company on women because he knew they were a very productive source of labour!!
· Other winners included the inventor of the digital camera at Eastman Kodak, someone in solar power, Ratan Tata, can't remember - was very interesting